Resident Managers Jon and Susana Onkka have been Innkeepers since 2004, after they left their corporate jobs behind and bought a Bed and Breakfast in West Virginia. Jon, grew up in Minnesota and has been in the service industry since 1989; he settled in Northern Virginia after leaving the Marine Corps. Susana has worked for two newspapers selling advertising and has held numerous other guest related positions; originally from Paraguay, South America, she immigrated with her parents and settled in Northern Virginia. Jon and Susana met in Virginia in 1996 and married in 1999. They have six children, two from Jon's previous marriage and four from Susana's. Susana is an avid Bird Lover and Master Gardener, and she loves to bake fresh homemade breads, which she serves lovingly to her guests. Jon is a jack of all trades (which includes cooking) and his best trade is storytelling. Working together for seven years has given Jon and Susana the opportunity to embrace their love of caring for Inns, and they look forward to being your new Innkeepers at the Inn at Glencairn and are excited to experience all that New Jersey has to offer! Check out their blog: http://travelinginnkeepers.blogspot.com/ and follow their recent experiences!
Owner Janet Cochoff Pressel is a former stock analyst from New York who, along with her husband Michael, purchased Glencairn as a private residence in 1999. After living in Glencairn for nearly five years, they discovered that the house truly came to life when they were entertaining and so began the thought to convert the historic home into a bed and breakfast. Upon the birth of their daughter in 2004, Janet retired from her career on Wall Street to focus her efforts full time on the start-up of the Inn.
The Opdykes, a Dutch family from New York, were the first recorded settlers on the site of Glencairn in 1697. The present stone wing of the manor house was likely built in the early 1700s. The property was in the Opdyke family until 1762 when it was sold to Daniel Hunt.
The sale to the Hunts marked the transition of Glencairn from Dutch to English proprietorship. During this period, the center hall frame was built and served as an excellent example of Georgian architecture.
In 1776, while the British army was quartered in Princeton, Glencairn was believed to have been confiscated as British quarters and even served as a Hessian Hospital for a brief period during the Revolutionary War.
The house remained in the Hunt family passing from the Gulicks to the Connahs until the 1940s when it was sold to the Perot family, at which time it was divided into three apartments and even lay vacant for several years until 1976.
During the peak of bi-centennial fever, the house was purchased by brothers Clifford and Stephen Zink and Alex Greenwood with the goal of returning Glencairn back to its 18th century splendor as documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey. During this time, the red frame barn was relocated to the back of the property from a farm in Dutch Neck. As a result of the red frame barn relocation, Alex Greenwood and Elric Endersby went on to form the New Jersey Barn Company.
For the next twenty years, Glencairn was again a private residence. In 2005 Glencairn began a new chapter as a bed and breakfast, with the help of Ford3 Architects. For the first time in its rich life, this important historic structure is being shared and enjoyed with the public.